Director, Laboratory of Advanced & Sustainable Cementitious Materials (ASCM)
Director, Laboratory of Corrosion Science & Electrochemical Engineering (CSEE)
- Ph.D., Polymer Chemistry, 1999 Â– Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- M.S., Industrial & Management Engineering, 2002 Â– Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
- M.S., Applied Chemistry, 1996 Â– Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- B.S., Corrosion & Protection, 1993 – Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology, Beijing, China
- Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU-Pullman, 2014-present
- Associate Director, USDOT Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Cold Climates (CESTiCC), 2013 Â– 2014; Assistant Director, 2014 – Present
- Founding Director, Corrosion & Sustainable Infrastructure Lab, MSU-Bozeman, 2004-2014
- Program Manager, Winter Maintenance & Effects, Western Transportation Institute, 2005–2014
- Research Professor, Civil Engineering, Montana State University (MSU), 2012–2014
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, 2009-2010
- Associate Research Professor, Civil Engineering, Montana State University, 2007–2012
- Research Scientist/Associate/Aide, Western Transportation Institute, 2002-2005
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, Spring 2002
- Graduate Research Assistant, NSF Center for Biofilm Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, 1999-2001
- Graduate Research Assistant, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1996-1999
- Graduate Research Assistant, Materials Science & Engineering, Tianjin University, 1993-1996
- 2016 ASCE ExCEEd Teaching Fellow
- AASHTO 2016 Sweet Sixteen High Value Research Project, (New Mexico DOT), Co-Principal Investigator.
- Certificate of Scholarly Achievement, The Friends of Montana State University Library, 2013
- Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Contributions as Reviewer of the CORROSION 2013 Symposium, NACE International, March 2013, Orlando, FL.
- Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence, 2012 & 2013.
- Best Paper, ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering 2011-2012
- Winner for ITS America 2007 Award for Best “Return on Investment”.
- Outstanding Research Award, College of Engineering, Montana State University, 2005
- Outstanding Student, Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology, 1992-1993
- Durable, sustainable, and smart pavements and structures
- Sustainable infrastructure materials: e.g., value-added utilization of industrial or agro-based byproducts for green infrastructure, multiscale characterization and modification
- Sustainable operations and resilient transportation systems
- Infrastructure preservation techniques and cost-effective maintenance practices
- Corrosion protection, condition monitoring, and intelligent infrastructure technologies
- Recycling infrastructure assets
- Durable & Sustainable Pavements and Bridges
- Concrete durability
- Transportation Asset Management
- Sustainable Winter Road Operations
- Nanotechnology for Civil Engineers
- Corrosion of Metals
- Concrete Durability (CE 508)
- Durable & Sustainable Pavements and Bridges (CE 472)
- Dang, Y., Shi, X.*, Xie, N., McVey, E., Kessel, A. Accelerated Laboratory Test Suggests the Importance of Film Integrity of Sealers for the Protection of Concrete from Deicer Scaling. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2016, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001579.
- Xie, N., Shi, X.*, Dang, Y., Pace, A. Upcycling of Waste Materials: Green Binder Prepared with Pure Fly Ash. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2015, in press. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001414.
- Dang, Y., Shi, X.*, Mery, S., Xie, N., Benson, A., Yang, Z. Influence of Surface Sealers on the Properties of Internally Cured Cement Mortars Containing Saturated Fine Lightweight Aggregate. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2015, 27(12), in press. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001306.
- Wang, X., Chen, J., Kong, Y., Shi, X.* Sequestration of Phosphorus from Wastewater by Cement-Based or Alternative Cementitious Materials. Water Research, 2014, 62(1), 88-96.
- Shi, X.*, Jungwirth, S., Akin, M., Wright, R., Fay, L., Veneziano, D., Zhang, Y., Gong, J., Ye, Z. (2014). â€œEvaluating snow and ice control chemicals for environmentally sustainable highway maintenance operations,â€Â ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 2014, 140(11), in press. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000709.
- Dang, Y., Xie, N., Kessel, A., McVey, E., Pace, A., Shi, X.* (2014). â€œAccelerated laboratory evaluation of surface treatments for protecting concrete bridge decks from salt scaling,â€Â Construction and Building Materials, 55, 128-135.
- Shi, X.*, Veneziano, D., Xie, N., Gong, J. (2013). â€œUse of chloride-based ice control products for sustainable winter maintenance: A balanced perspective,â€Â Cold Regions Science and Technology, 86, 104-112.
- Shi, X.*, Goh, S.W., Akin, M., Stevens, S., You, Z. (2012). “Exploring the interactions of chloride deicer solutions with nanomodified and micro-modified asphalt mixtures using artificial neural networks,”Â ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 24(7), 805â€“815.
- Xie, N., Shi, X., Feng, D., Kuang, B., Li, H. (2012). â€œPercolation backbone structure analysis in electrically conductive carbon fiber reinforced cement composites,â€Â Composites Part B: Engineering, 43, 3270-3275.
- Liu, Y., Shi, X.* (2012). â€œStochastic modeling of service life of concrete structures in chloride-laden environments,â€Â ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 24(4), 381-390.
- Yang, Z., Hollar, J., He, X., Shi, X.* (2011). â€œA self-healing cementitious composite Using oil core/silica gel shell microcapsules,â€Â Cement and Concrete CompositesÂ 33, 506-512. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2011.01.010.
- Shi, X.*, Fay, L., Peterson, M.M., Berry, M., Mooney, M. (2011). â€œA FESEM/EDX investigation into how continuous deicer exposure affects the chemistry of Portland cement concrete,â€Â Construction and Building Materials, 25(2), 957-966. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.086.
- Yu, H., Shi, X., Hartt, W. H., Lu, B. (2010). â€œLaboratory investigation of reinforcement corrosion initiation and chloride threshold concentration for self-compacting concrete,â€Â Cement and Concrete Research, 40(10), 1507-1516. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconres.2010.06.004.
- Shi, X.*, Fay, L., Peterson, M.M., Yang, Z. (2010). â€œFreeze-thaw damage and chemical change of a Portland cement concrete In the presence of diluted deicers,â€Â Materials and Structures, 43(7): 933-946. Shi, X.*, Nguyen, T.A., Suo, Z., Liu, Y., Avci, R. (2009). â€œEffect of nanoparticles on the anticorrosion and mechanical properties of epoxy coating,â€Â Surface and Coatings Technology, 204(3), 237-245. Nguyen, T.A., Lu, Y., Yang, X., Shi, X.* (2007). “Carbon and steel surfaces modified byÂ Leptothrix discophoraÂ SP-6: Characterization and implications,”Â Environmental Science & Technology, 41(23), 7987-7996.