- Ph.D., Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 1995, Cornell University
- M.S. Agricultural Engineering, 1988, University of Idaho
- M.S., Land Use Planning, 1988. The Agricultural University of Wageningen
- B.S. Land Use Planning, 1985, The Agricultural University of Wageningen
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) License in State of Idaho
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2015-present
- Special Assistant to VPR & Science Lead NSF-EPSCoR , University of Idaho, 2013-2015
- Director, Environmental Science & Water Resources Program, University of Idaho, 2011-2015
- Professor, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Idaho, 2008-2015
- Director, Waters of the West (incl. Water Resources Graduate Program), UI, 2006- 2011
- Associate Professor, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Idaho, 2002-2008
- Affiliate Professor, CATIE (Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza), Turrialba, Costa Rica, 2001-present
- Assistant Professor, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Idaho, 1996-2002
- Excellence in Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Efforts, University of Idaho, 2010
- Outstanding Research Faculty, College of Engineering at University of Idaho, 2006
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Environmental Science Program, University of Idaho, 2005
- R.M. Wade Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Agriculture, 2003
- Engineer of the Year, ASAE Pacific Northwest Section, 2002
- Outstanding Young Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Idaho, 2000
- Watershed hydrology
- Water quality
- Hydrologic modeling
- Integrated water resources management
- Vadose zone hydrology
- Physical hydrology
- Analytical hydrology
- Environmental water quality
- Brooks, E.S., S. Saia, J. Boll. 2015. Assessing BMP Effectiveness and Guiding BMP Planning Using Process-Based Modeling. JAWRA 51(2):343-358, DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12296.
- Boll, J., E.S. Brooks, E.S., B. Crabtree, S. Dun, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2015. Variable Source Area Hydrology Modeling with the Water Erosion Prediction Project (WEPP) Model, JAWRA 51(2):330-342, DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12297.
- Rittenburg, B., A.L. Squires, J. Boll, E.S. Brooks, Z.M. Easton, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2015. Agricultural BMP Effectiveness and Dominant Hydrological Flow Paths: Concepts and a Review. JAWRA 51(2):305-329, DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12293.
- Sánchez -Murillo, R., E.S. Brooks, W.J. Elliot, and J. Boll. 2015. Isotope hydrology and baseflow geochemistry in natural and human-altered watersheds in the Inland Pacific Northwest, USA. Isotopes in Environmental & Health Studies DOI: 10.1080/10256016.2015.1008468.
- Sánchez -Murillo**, R., E.S. Brooks, W. Elliot, E. Gazel, and J. Boll. 2015. Baseflow recession analysis in the inland Pacific Northwest of the United States. Hydrogeology Journal 23(2):287-303, DOI 10.1007/s10040-014-1191-4.
- Al-Hamdan, O.Z., M. Hernandez, F.B. Pierson, M.A. Nearing, C.J. Williams, J.J. Stone, J. Boll, M.A. Weltz. 2015. Rangeland hydrology and erosion model (RHEM) enhancements for applications on disturbed rangelands. Hydrological Processes, 29(3):445-457, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10167.
- DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10167.
? Williams, C.J., F.B. Pierson, P.R. Robichaud, and J. Boll. 2014. Hydrologic and erosion responses to wildfire along the rangeland-xeric forest continuum in the western US: A review and conceptual model of hydrologic vulnerability. International Journal of Wildland Fire 23:155-172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/WF12161.
- Sánchez-Murillo, R.,G. Esquivel-Hernández, K. Welsh, E.S. Brooks, J. Boll, R. Alfaro-Solís, J. Valdés-González. 2013. Spatial and Temporal Variation of Stable Isotopes in Precipitation across Costa Rica: An Analysis of Historic GNIP Records. Open Journal of Modern Hydrology, 3(4):226-240. doi: 10.4236/ojmh.2013.34027.
- Ochoa-Cueva, P., A. Fries, P. Montesinos, J. A. Rodríguez-Díaz, and J. Boll. 2013. Spatial estimation of soil erosion risk by land cover change in the Andes of Southern Ecuador. Land Degradation & Development, DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2219.
- Saia, S.M., E. S. Brooks, Z. M. Easton, C. Baffaut, J. Boll, T. S. Steenhuis. 2013. Incorporating pesticide transport into the WEPP model for mulch tillage and no tillage plots with an underlying claypan soil. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 29(3): 363-372.
- Sanchez-Murillo, R, E.S. Brooks, J. Boll, and F. Wilhelm. 2013. Ecohydrological habitat quality and steelhead (Oncrohynchus mykiss) in an effluent dominated stream: potential benefits of water water treatment plants in streams of the Pacific Northwest impoverished by loss of marine derived nutrients. Ecohydrology, DOI: 10.1002/eco.1376.
- Al-Hamdan, O.Z., F.B. Pierson Jr, M.A. Nearing, C.J. Williams, J.J. Stone, P.R. Kormos, J. Boll and M.A. Weltz. 2012. Concentrated flow erodibility for physically-based erosion models: temporal variability in disturbed and undisturbed rangelands. Water Resour. Res., 48, 7, doi:10.1029/2011WR011464, 2012