Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty
Dr. Indranil Chowdhury
- Ph.D., Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Riverside, CA (June 2012)
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (August 2008)
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh (November 2006)
- Assistant Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, August 2015- Present
- National Research Council Post-doctoral Researcher, USEPA ORD National Exposure Research Laboratory (NERL), Athens, GA , July 2012- July 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant, Chemical & Environmental Engineering, University of California, Riverside, CA, September 2008- June 2012
- Graduate Research Assistant, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, September 2007- August 2008
- National Research Council (NRC) Research Associateship 2012-2015
- American Chemical Society Graduate student award 2012
- Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship University of California 2011
- Dissertation Year Program Fellowship from University of California for 2011-2012
- Research Podium Award in PennTec 2009 for best paper on cooling water research
- Dean’s Distinguished Fellowship, University of California, Riverside (2008-2012)
- CIT Dean’s Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, (2007-2008)
- Environmental applications and implications of nanotechnology in the context of water infrastructure, food-energy-water nexus, and climate change
- Fate, transport and removal of emerging contaminants in water, soil and sediment
- Water quality and treatment
- Nanoscale surface interactions
- Stormwater management
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Aquatic chemistry
- Physical and chemical separation processes
- Chowdhury, I., Mansukhani, N.D., Guiney, L., Hersam, M.C., and Bouchard, D. (2015) Aggregation and Stability of Reduced Graphene Oxide: Complex Roles of Divalent Cations, pH and Natural Organic Matter, Environmental Science & Technology, 49 (18), 10886-10893.
- Bouchard, D., Chang, X., and Chowdhury, I. (2015) Heteroaggregation of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes with Sediments, Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, 4, 42-50.
- Chowdhury, I.,Hou, W-C., Goodwin, D., Henderson, M., Zepp, R. and Bouchard, D. (2015) Sunlight Affects Aggregation and Deposition of Graphene Oxide in the Aquatic Environment, Water Research,78, 37-46.
- Hou, W-C, Chowdhury, I., Goodwin, D., Henderson, M., Fairbrother, H., Bouchard, D. and Zepp, R. (2015) Photochemical Reactions of Graphene Oxide in Sunlight, Environmental Science & Technology, 49 (6), 3435-3443.
- Chowdhury, I., Zorlu, O., Walker, S. L. and Haznedaroglu, B. Z. (2014) Impact of Cell Growth Phase and Natural Organic Matter on the Attachment Kinetics of Salmonella Typhimurium to Solid Surfaces, Environmental Engineering Science, Volume 32, No. 2.
- Chowdhury, I., Duch, M.C., Mansukhani, N.D., Hersam, M.C., and Bouchard, D. (2014) Interactions of Graphene Oxide Nanomaterials with Organic Matter and Metal Oxide Surfaces, Environmental Science & Technology, 48 (16), 9382-9390.
- Chowdhury, I., Hersam, M.C., and Bouchard, D. (2014) Deposition and Release of Graphene Oxide Nanomaterials Using a Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM-D), Environmental Science & Technology, 48 (2), 961-969.
- Taylor, A., Chowdhury, I., Gong, A., Cwiertny, D. M. and Walker, S. L. (2014) Deposition and Disinfection of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Naturally Occurring Photoactive Materials in a Parallel Plate Chamber, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 16, 194-202. (Cover Article)
- Chowdhury, I., Duch, M.C., Mansuskhani, N.D., Hersam, M.C., and Bouchard, D. (2013) Colloidal Properties and Stability of Graphene Oxide Nanomaterials in the Aquatic Environment, Environmental Science & Technology, 47 (12), 6288-6296.
- Chowdhury, I., Walker, S. L., and Mylon, S. E. (2013) Aggregate Morphology of nano-TiO2: Role of Primary Particle Size, Solution Chemistry, and Organic Matter, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts Special Issue â€œAnthrophogenic Nanomaterials in the Environmentâ€, 15 (1), 275-282. (Special Issue)
- Pablos, C., Grieken, R., MarugÃ¡n, J., Chowdhury, I., and Walker, S.L. (2013) Study of Bacteria Adhesion onto Immobilized TiO2: Effect on the Photocatalytic Activity for Disinfection Applications, Catalysis Today Special issue, 209, 140-146. (Special Issue)
- Chowdhury, I., Cwiertny, D. M. and Walker, S. L. (2012) Combined Factors Influencing the Aggregation and Deposition of nano-TiO2 in the Presence of Humic Acids and Bacteria, Environmental Science & Technology special issue â€œTransformations of Nanoparticles in the Environmentâ€, 46(13), 6968-6976. (Special Issue)
- Chowdhury, I., Duch, M. C., Hersam, M. C. and Walker, S. L. (2012) Impact of Synthesis Methods on the Transport of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes in the Environment, Environmental Science & Technology, 46(21), 11752-11760.
- Chien, S.H., Chowdhury, I., Hsieh, M.K., Li, H., Monnell, J., Dzombak, D.A., and Vidic, R.D. (2012), Control of Biological Growth in Recirculating Cooling Systems Using Treated Secondary Effluent as Makeup Water with Monochloramine, Water Research, 46(19), 6508-18.
- Chowdhury, I. and Walker, S. L. (2012) Deposition Mechanisms of TiO2 Nanoparticles in a Parallel Plate System, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 369 (1), 16-22.
- Chowdhury, I., Hong, Y., Honda, R., Walker, S. L. (2011) Mechanisms of TiO2 Nanoparticles Transport in Saturated Porous Media: Role of Solution Chemistry, Nanoparticle Concentration and Flow rate, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 362 (2) : 548-555.
- Chowdhury, I., Hong, Y., Walker, S. L. (2010) Container to Characterization: Impacts of Metal Oxide Handling, Preparation and Solution Chemistry on Particle Stability, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 368(1-3): 91-95.
- Hsieh, M-K., Li, H., Chien, S-H., Monnell, J. D., Chowdhury, I., Dzombak, D. A. and Vidic, R. D. (2010) Corrosion Control when Using Secondary Treated Municipal Wastewater As Alternative Makeup Water For Cooling Tower Systems, Water Environment Research, 82, 2346-2356.