- Ph.D., Civil (Structural) Engineering, 1988 – Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Civil (Structural) Engineering, 1978 – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.S., Civil (Structural) Engineering, 1977 – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Professional Civil Engineering, State of Texas, No 51721
- Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2007-present
- Chair, Faculty Senate, WSU, 2001-02
- Faculty Fellow, The Boeing Company, 2001
- Affiliate Staff Scientist, Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories, 1994-97
- Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1994-2007
- Assistant Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1988-94
- Graduate Research Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1983-88
- Instructor, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1985-86
- Researcher, Battelle Houston Operations, 1980-82
- Engineer, Marine Technology Development Department, Brown and Root, Inc., 1978-80
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1977-78
- Outstanding Advisor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2006
- Outstanding Teacher, College of Engineering and Architecture, 2003
- Leon Luck Award (most effective faculty member in department), 1992
- Structural mechanics
- Numerical methods applied to linear, nonlinear, and dynamic structural analysis
- Mechanics of Materials
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- Computer Methods of Structural Analysis
- Finite Elements
- Advanced Finite Elements
- Mechanics of Structures
- Shattarat, N. K., Symans, M. D., McLean, D. I., and Cofer, W. F., “Evaluation of Nonlinear Static Analysis Methods and Software Tools for Seismic Analysis of Highway Bridges,” Accepted for publication, Engineering Structures, 2006.
- Stapleton, S. E., McDaniel, C. C., Cofer, W. F., and McLean, D. I., “Performance of Lightly Confined Reinforced Concrete Columns in Long-Duration Subduction Zone Earthquakes,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1928, Transportation Board of the National Academies, Washington, D. C., pp. 185-192, 2005.
- Symans, M. D., Cofer, W. F., Fridley, K. J., and Du, Y., “Seismic Behavior of Wood-framed Structures with Viscous Fluid Dampers,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 451-482, 2004.
- Cofer, W. F., Zhang, Y., and McLean, D. I. (2002) "A Comparison of Current Computer Analysis Methods for Seismic Performance of Reinforced Concrete Members," Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 835-861, 2002.
- Fridley, K. J., Williams, J. M., and Cofer, W. F. (2001) "Reliability of Reused Sawn Lumber: Effect of Fastener Holes," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 127, No. 4, pp. 412-417, 2001.