- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 2011
- B.S., Architectural Engineering (double major in Civil and Environmental Engineering), Korea University, 2009
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, Aug 2017 – Present
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, Aug 2016 – Jul 2017
- Visiting Faculty, Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering, University of Central Florida, Aug 2015 – Aug 2016
- Graduate Research Assistant, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Aug 2011 – Aug 2015
- NAE’s 2021 US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Participant, 2021
- ASCE SEI Codes and Standards Young Professional (CSAD-YP) Program Future Funds, 2018 – 2021
- ASCE ExCEEd (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) Fellow, 2019
- ASCE SEI Tier 1 Young Professional Scholarship, 2019
- Kwanjeong Educational Foundation Scholarship for Doctoral Research, 2011 – 2015
- Winner, ASCE/EMI Probabilistic Methods Committee Student Paper Competition, 2014
- Exchange Student Scholarship at University of Pennsylvania, 2006 – 2007
- Honors Scholarship, Korea University, 2004
- Risk-informed decision-making
- Infrastructure and community resilience
- Risk assessment and management of infrastructure and supply chain systems
- Natural hazards modeling and simulation
- Applications of statistics and probability in civil engineering
- Mechanics of Materials
- Structural Analysis
- Decision-Making for Sustainable and Resilient Civil Infrastructure
- Probability and Statistical Models in Engineering
- Ghasemi, S.H.* and Lee, J.Y. (2021). “Measuring instantaneous resilience of a highway bridge subjected to earthquake events.” Transportation Research Record. 03611981211009546.
- Ghasemi, S.H.* and Lee, J.Y. (2021). “Reliability-based indicator for post-earthquake traffic flow capacity of a highway bridge.” Structural Safety, 89, 102039.
- Wilson, A.W.*, Phillips, A.R., Motter, C.J., Lee, J.Y., and Dolan, J.D. (2021). “Seismic loss analysis of buildings with post-tensioned cross-laminated timber walls.” Earthquake Spectra, 8755293020944188. https://doi.org/10.1177/8755293020944188.
- Soltani, M.H., Ghasemi, S.H.*, Soltani, A., Lee, J.Y., Nowak, A.S., and Jalilikhani, M. (2020). “State-of-the-art reliability analysis of structural drift control corresponding to the critical excitations.” Journal of Earthquake Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2020.1798829.
- Tomar, A., Burton, H.V., Mosleh, A., and Lee, J.Y. (2020). “Hindcasting the functional loss and restoration of the Napa water system following the 2014 earthquake using discrete-event simulation.” ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 26(4), 04020035.
- Nouri, F., Ghasemi, S.H.*, and Lee, J.Y. (2020). “System reliability analysis of the scoliosis disorder.” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorder, 21(1), 1-12.
- Zhao, J.*, Lee, J.Y., Li, Y., and Yin, Y-J. (2020). “Effect of catastrophe insurance on disaster-impacted community: quantitative framework and case studies.” International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 43, 101387.
- Burton, H.V., Lee, J.Y., Moradi, S., and Dastmalchi, S. (2019). “Multi-objective performance-based design optimization of a controlled rocking steel braced frame system.” Resilient Structures and Infrastructure, pp. 243-268.
- Lee, J.Y., Burton, H.V., and Lallemant, D. (2018). “Adaptive decision framework for civil infrastructure exposed to evolving risks.” Procedia Engineering, 212:435-442.
- Lee, J.Y., Burton, H.V., and Lallemant, D. (2018). “Adaptive decision-making for civil infrastructure systems and communities exposed to evolving risks.” Structural Safety, 75: 1-12.
- Lee, J.Y. and Ellingwood, B.R. (2017). “A decision model for intergenerational life-cycle risk assessment of civil infrastructure exposed to hurricanes under climate change.” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 159: 100-107.
- Ellingwood, B.R. and Lee, J.Y. (2016). “Managing risks to civil infrastructure due to natural hazards: communicating long-term risks due to climate change.” In Risk Analysis of Natural Hazards: Interdisciplinary Challenges and Integrated Solutions, pp. 97-112. Risk, Governance, and Society, Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-22126-7.
- Ellingwood, B.R. and Lee, J.Y. (2016). “Life cycle performance goals for civil infrastructure: intergenerational risk-informed decisions.” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 12(7): 822-829.
- Lee, J.Y. and Ellingwood, B.R. (2015). “Ethical discounting for civil infrastructure decisions extending over multiple generations.” Structural Safety, 57:43-52.