Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty
Dr. Michael Wolcott
Louisiana-Pacific Distinguished Professor
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering Science, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 1989
- M.S., Forestry, University of Maine at Orono, 1985
- B.S., Wood Science, University of Maine at Orono, 1982
- Regents Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2012 – present
- Director, Institute for Sustainable Design, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2008 – present
- Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2004-2012
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 1996-2004
- Assistant Professor of Wood Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 1989-96
- Graduate Project, Research, and Teaching Assistant, VPI&SU, Blacksburg, VA, 1985-89
- Fellow, International Academy of Wood Science, 2012, meritorious recognition of wood scientists in evidence of high scientific standards
- Leon Luck Most Effective Professor, 2009, Civil and Env. Engineering, Washington State University
- Career Achievement Award, 2009, College of Natural Resources (Alumnus), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty, 2007, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Anjan Bose Outstanding Researcher Award, 2005, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Outstanding Research Faculty, 2004, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Outstanding Research Faculty, 2004/2005, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Distinguished Alumni, 2002, College of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Maine, Orono, ME.
- Biomass preparation
- Biofuels industry logistics
- Composite material development
- Extrusion processing
- Viscoelasticity and rheology
- Anisotropic elasticity
- Interdisciplinary Design and Sustainability
- Statics and Strength of Materials
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- Composite Materials
- Chen, F.** and M.P. Wolcott. 2014. Miscibility studies of paraffin/polyethylene blends as formstable phase change materials. European Polymer Journal. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2013.09.027. 52:4452.
- Ou, R., Y. Xie, M.P. Wolcott, F. Yuan and Q. Wang. 2014. Effect of wood cell wall composition on the rheological properties of wood particle/high density polyethylene composites. Composites Science and Technology. 93:6875.
- Ten, E.**, L. Jiang, and M.P. Wolcott. 2013. Preparation and properties of aligned poly(3hydroxybutyrateco3hydroxyvalerate)/cellulose nanowhiskers composites. Carbohydrate Polymers. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.09.033. 92(1):206213.
- Ten, E., D.F. Bahr, B. Lin, L. Jiang, and M.P Wolcott. 2012. Effects of cellulose nano whiskers on mechanical, dielectric, and rheological properties of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate)/cellulose nanowhiskers composites. Industrial &Engineering Chemistry Research. 51(7):2941-2951.
- Migneault, S., A. Koubaa, F. Erchiqui, A. Chaalla, K.R. Englund, and M.P. Wolcott. 2011. Application of micromechanical models to tensile properties of wood–plastic composites. Wood Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s00226-010-0351-5. 45(3):521-532.
- Wang, J.W., M.P.G. Laborie, and M.P. Wolcott. 2011. Correlation of mechanical and chemical cure development for phenol-formaldehyde resin bonded wood joints. Thermochimica Acta. 513(1-2):20-25.
- Wolcott, M., S. Brown, M. King, D. Ascher-Barnstone, T. Beyreuther and K. Olsen. 2011. A model for faculty, student, and practitioner development in sustainability engineering through an integrated design experience. ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000058. 137(2):94-101.
- Gacitua, W., D. Bahr and M. Wolcott. 2010. Damage of the cell wall during extrusion and injection molding of wood plastic composites. Composites Part A. Applied Science and Manufacturing. 41(10):1454-1460.
- Jiang, L., F. Chen, J. Qian, J.J. Huang, M. Wolcott, L.S. Liu and J. Zhang. 2010. Reinforcing and toughening effects of bamboo pulp fiber on Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) fiber composites. Industrial &Engineering Chemistry Research. 49(2):572-577.
- Ten, E., J. Turtle, D. Bahr, L. Jiang, and M. Wolcott. 2010. Thermal and mechanical properties of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate)/cellulose nanowhiskers composites. Polymer. 51(12):2652-2660.
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Flexural Fatigue and Reliability Analysis of Wood Flour/High-Density Polyethylene Composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 29(9):1295-1310.
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Fatigue characterization and reliability analysis of wood flour filled polypropylene composites. Polymer Composites. (31)4:553-560.