- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Environmental), 1989 – Washington State University
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, 1986 – Washington State University
- M.S., Civil Engineering (Geotechnical), 1984 – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- B.Sc.Eng., Civil Engineering, 1979 – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Professor, Civil Engineering, Washington State University – Tri-Cities, 2007 – Present
- Associate Professor, Civil Engineering, Washington State University – Tri-Cities, 2000-2007
- Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering, Washington State University – Tri-Cities, 1994-00
- Senior Technical Consultant, Rust Environment and Infrastructure, Greenville, SC, 1993-94
- Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering & Construction, Bradley Univ., Peoria, IL, 1992-93
- Technical Consultant, Beiling Consultant, Molline, IL, 1992-93
- Project Engineer, SEC Donohue, Inc., Greenville, SC, 1990-92
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1989-90
- Assistant Professor, Univ. of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1982-84
- Lecturer, University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1979-84
- Groundwater flow
- Contaminant transport modeling
- Unit Operations in Environmental Engineering
- Unit Processes in Environmental Engineering
- Flow and Contaminant Transport Dynamics
- Advanced Groundwater Hydrology
- Environmental Geotechnology
- Yan, L., Xiang, Q., Hossain, A., and Yang, B (2014). “A Comprehensive Mechanistic Kinetic Model for Dilute Acid Hydrolysis of Switchgrass Cellulose to Glucose, 5-HMF and Levulinic Acid.” RSC Advances, 4, 23492-23504.
- Hasan, N., and Hossain, M. A (2012). “Adequacy of Homogenous Surface Diffusion Models to Simulate Nonequilibrium Mass Transfer in Soils.” Journal of Porous Media, 15(8), 735-744.
- Hossain, M. A. (2011). “Adequacy of Finite Element Models to simulate Advective-Dispersive Transport Coupled with Intra-Particle Diffusiosn” Journal of Porous Media, 14(10), 883-892.
- Barber, M. E., Hossain, M. A., Covert, J., and Gregory, G. (2009). “Augmentation of Seasonal Low Stream Flows by Artificial Recharge in the Spokane Valley-Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer of Idaho and Washington” Hydrogeology Journal , 17(6), 1459-1470.
- Mayenna, A., and Hossain, M. A. (2009). “Crank-Nicolson Galerkin Model for Nonlinearly Coupled Macrophase and Microphase Transport in the Subsurface.” Journal of Porous Media, 12(9), 835-867,
- Hsieh, P. A., Barber, M. E., Contor, B. A., Hossain, M. A., Johnson, G. S., Jones, J. L., and Wylie, A. H. (2007). “Groundwater Flow Model for the Spokane Valley – Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer, Spokane County, Washington, and Bonner and Kootenai Counties, Idaho.” USGS SIR 2007 – 5044, 78 p.
- Hossain, M. A. (2006). “Simulating Transport and Bioreduction of Cr(VI) by Employing the Dual-Enzyme Kinetic Model.” Journal of Porous Media, 9(4), 1-14.
- Hossain, M. A. (2006). “Graphical Estimation of the Dual-Enzyme Kinetic Parameters for Cr(VI) Reduction.” Chemosphere, 63, 171-174.
- Horiuchi, K., Dutta, P., and Hossain, A. (2006). “Joule-Heating Effects in Mixed Electroosmotic and Pressure-Driven Microflows Under Constant Wall Heat Flux.” Journal of Engineering Mathematics, 54(2), 159-180.
- Alam, M., Hossain, M. A., Yonge, D. R., Peyton, B. M., and Petersen, J. N. (2006). “Bioreduction of Hexavalent Chromium in Flow-Through Quartz Sand Columns.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 132(3), 358-366.
- Hossain, M. A., (2005).“Modeling Nonlinearly Transient Zero-Order Bioreduction and Transport of Cr(VI) in Groundwater.” Journal of Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 10, 315-321.
- Hossain, M. A., Alam, M., and Yonge, D. R. (2005). “Estimating the Dual-Enzyme Kinetic Paramaters for Cr(VI) Reduction by Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 from Soil Column Experiments.” Water Research, 39, 3342-3348.