Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty
Dr. Courtney M. Gardner
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2017, Duke University
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2015, Duke University
- B.S., Biology, 2011, Stetson University
- Assistant Professor, WSU, 2018-Present
- Postdoctoral Associate, Joint— Nicholas School of the Environment/Pratt School of Engineering, 2017-2018
- Graduate Research Assistant, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Duke University, 2012-2017
- Jeffrey B. Taub Award, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University, 2017
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Duke University, 2013-2016
- Stormwater Management
- In Situ Microbiome Engineering
- Ecological Impacts of Emerging Contaminants
- Antibiotic Resistance Gene Acquisition and Dissemination
- Environmental Microbiology
- Biochemical Wastewater Treatment
- R.M. Holzem, Gardner, C.M., Stapleton, H.M., and Gunsch, C.K. Using Laboratory Generated Biosolids to Evaluate the Microbial Toxicity of Triclosan in a Simulated Land Application Scenario. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. Accepted February 6, 2018.
- Gardner, C. M., Gwin, C.A., and Gunsch, C. K. Evidence of Transgenic Crop Derived Transgenes in Activated Sludge and Digester Sludge in Wastewater Treatment Plants Across the United States. Water Science & Technology. Accepted January 23, 2018.
- Farner-Budarz, J., Cooper, E.M., Gardner, C.M., Hodzic, E., Stapleton, H.M., Ferguson, P.L., Gunsch, C.K., Wiesner, M. R. Chlorpyrifos Degradation via Photoreactive TiO2 Nanoparticles: Assessing the Impact of a Multi-Component Degradation Scenario. Journal of Hazardous Materials (2017).
- R.M. Holzem, Gardner, C.M., and Gunsch, C.K. Evaluating the Impacts of Triclosan on Wastewater Treatment Performance During Startup and Acclimation. Water Science & Technology, 77(2): 493-503.
- E. Lefèvre, Bossa, N., Gardner, C.M. Gehrke, G.E., Cooper, E., Stapleton, H.M., Hsu-Kim, H., and Gunsch, C.K. Biochar and activated carbon act as promising amendments for promoting the complete microbial debromination of tetrabromobisphenol A. Water Research 128 (2018): 102-110.
- Gardner, C.M., and C.K. Gunsch. Adsorption capacity of multiple DNA sources to clay minerals and environmental soil matrices less than previously estimated. Chemosphere 175 (2017): 45-51.
- Thomson, A.D., Gardner, C.M., Gwin, C.A., and Gunsch, C.K. Cocopeat for wastewater treatment in the developing world: comparison to traditional packing media in lab scale biofiltration columns. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering 142.2 (2015): 04015069.