- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 2008, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- M.S., Hydrology and Water Resource Engineering, 2001, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
- B.S., Agricultural Engineering, 1998, Haramaya University, Ethiopia
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University – Tri-Cities, Aug 2012 – Present
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Environmental Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Jul 2009 – Aug 2012
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Apr 2008 – Jul 2009
- Research Assistant, Illinois State Water Survey, Jan 2008 – Apr 2008
- Graduate Research Assistant, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Jul 2003 – Apr 2008
- Graduate Research Assistant, Hydrology and Water Resource Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, Aug 1999 – Oct 2001
- Assistant Lecturer, Agricultural Engineering, Hawassa University, Ethiopia, Aug 1998 – Aug 1999
- First Place Award for Young Scientist at the Sixth International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, American Academy of Sciences, 2012
- SURGE Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003 – 2008
- VLIR Scholarship, Belgian Directorate-General for Development Cooperation, Belgium, 1999 – 2001
- Gold Medal Award for Outstanding Graduate of the Year, Haramaya University, Ethiopia, 1998
- Characterizing surface and subsurface hydrology
- Inverse modeling and stochastic hydrology
- Hydrological and water quality modeling
- Data mining and assimilation
- Optimizing hydraulic and hydrologic designs
- Renewable energy and climate change impacts on hydrology
- Water resources engineering
- Fluid mechanics and hydraulics
- Groundwater hydrology
- Sustainability in water resources
- Stochastic and nonlinear hydrology
- Risk and uncertainty in water resources
- Demissie, Y., E. Yan, and M. Wu, 2012. Assessing Regional Hydrology and Water Quality Implications of Large-Scale Biofuel Feedstock Production in the Upper Mississippi River Basin, Environmental Science & Technology, Doi: 10.1021/es300769k.
- Wu, M., Y. Demissie, and E. Yan, 2012. Simulate impacts of future biofuel production on water quality and water cycle dynamics in the Upper Mississippi River Basin, Biomass and Bioenergy, Doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.01.030.
- Wu, M., Y. Chiu, and Y. Demissie, 2012. Quantifying the regional water footprint of biofuel using multiple analytical tools, Water resources research (in press).
- Demissie, Y., E. Yan, M. Wu, and Z. Zhang, 2012. Watershed modeling for evaluation of biofuel feedstock production in the Upper Mississippi river basin, ANL/EVS/AGEM/TR-12-07, Argonne National Laboratory..
- Demissie, Y., A. Valocchi, B. Minsker, and B. Bailey, 2009. Integrating a calibrated groundwater flow model with error-correcting data-driven models to improve predictions, Journal of hydrology, Vol. 364, pp 257–271.
- Demissie, Y., A. Valocchi, B. Minsker, and B. Bailey, 2008. Bias-corrected groundwater model prediction uncertainty analysis. In: J. Refsgaard (Editor), Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modeling: Credibility in Modeling, IAHS Publ. 320. pp 15–21.