Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty
Dr. Kun Zhang
Clinical Assistant Professor
Co-Director, Washington Center for Asphalt Technology
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Washington State University, USA, 2016
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, Shandong University, China, 2012
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Shandong University, China, 2009
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Washington State University, 2016-Present
- Co-Director, Washington Center for Asphalt Technology, 2016-Present
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Washington State University, 2012-2016
- Graduate Research Assistant, Shandong University, 2009-2012
- Washington Asphalt Pavement Association (WAPA) Scholarship, 2016
- Washington Asphalt Pavement Association (WAPA) Scholarship, 2015
- Outstanding Graduated Student Award, 2009
- Recycling of pavement materials and industrial by-products
- Intelligent and functional materials for transportation infrastructures
- Advanced numerical modeling (CFD, DEM, and FEM) for Engineering Applications
- Co-PI, Novel Development of Bio-based Binder for Sustainable Construction, Funded by FHWA, 2016-2018
- Co-PI, Development of a Commercially-Ready Cured Carbon Fiber Composite Material (CCFCM) Reinforced Permeable Pavement, Funded by Boeing Company, 2017
- Co-PI, Optimization of Strength of Permeable Pavement Enhanced with Cured Carbon Fiber Composite Materials, Funded by Boeing Company, 2016
- CE 211 Statics
- CE 322 Transportation Engineering
- CE 400 Highway Materials Engineering
- Zhang, K., and B. Muhunthan. “Effects of Production Stages on Blending and Mechanical Properties of Asphalt Mixtures Containing Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)”. Construction and Building Materials, 2017.
- Zhang, K., and B. Muhunthan. “Quasi-Microstructure Analysis of Asphalt Mixtures Containing Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement”. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2017
- Wen H. and K. Zhang. “Investigation of Blending Mechanisms for Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP) Binder and Virgin Binder in Laboratory-Produced RAP Mixtures”. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2016
- Zhang K, H. Wen, and A. Hobbs. “Laboratory Tests and Numerical Simulations of Mixing Superheated Virgin Aggregate with Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement Materials.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2015.
- Wu S. K. Zhang, H. Wen, J. DeVol, K. Kelsey. “Performance Evaluation of Hot Mix Asphalt Containing Recycled Asphalt Shingles in Washington State.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (ASCE), 2015.
- Wen, H., and K. Zhang. “Coupling Discrete Element Method and Computation Fluid Mechanics to Simulate Aggregates Heating in Asphalt Plants”. Journal of Engineering Mechanics (ASCE), 2014.
- Ge Z., R. Sun, K. Zhang (Corresponding author), Z. Gao, P. Li, “Physical and Mechanical Properties of Plastic Mortar Using Waste Polyethylene Terephthalate Bottles”. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, 2013.