Laboratory of Advanced & Sustainable Cementitious Materials (ASCM)
National Center for Transportation Infrastructure Durability & Life-Extension
Journal of Infrastructure Preservation & Resilience
Laboratory of Corrosion Science & Electrochemical Engineering (CSEE)
- Ph.D., Polymer Chemistry, 1999 – Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- M.S., Industrial & Management Engineering, 2002 – Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
- M.S., Applied Chemistry, 1996 – Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- B.S., Corrosion & Protection, 1993 – Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology, Beijing, China
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Montana, License No. 16066, 2007-present
- Director, National Center for Transportation Infrastructure Durability & Life-Extension, 2019-present
- Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU-Pullman, 2014-present
- Deputy Director, WSU Strategic Research Initiative Stormwater Program, July 2018 – Present
- Associate Director, USDOT Center for Advanced Multimodal Mobility Solutions and Education (CAMMSE), November 2016 – Present
- Associate Director, USDOT Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Cold Climates (CESTiCC), 2013 – 2014; Assistant Director, 2014 – Present
- Founding Director, Corrosion & Sustainable Infrastructure Lab, MSU-Bozeman, 2004-2014
- Program Manager, Winter Maintenance & Effects, Western Transportation Institute, 2005–2014
- Research Professor, Civil Engineering, Montana State University (MSU), 2012–2014
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, 2009-2010
- Associate Research Professor, Civil Engineering, Montana State University, 2007–2012
- Research Scientist/Associate/Aide, Western Transportation Institute, 2002-2005
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, Spring 2002
- Graduate Research Assistant, NSF Center for Biofilm Engineering, MSU-Bozeman, 1999-2001
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, presented on April 25, 2018
- Leon Luck Outstanding Faculty Award, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, presented on April 25, 2018
- 2016 ASCE ExCEEd (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) Teaching Fellow, selected by the ASCE Committee on Faculty Development
- AASHTO 2016 Sweet Sixteen High Value Research Project, Co-Principal Investigator.
- Certificate of Scholarly Achievement, The Friends of Montana State University Library, 2013
- Highly Commended Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence, 2013 & 2012
- Best Paper (2011-2012), ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering.
- Winner of the ITS America 2007 Award for Best “Return on Investment”, Principal Investigator
- Outstanding Research Award, College of Engineering, Montana State University, 2005
- Honorary Citizenship, City of Bozeman, MT, 2000
- Preservation and resilience of transportation infrastructures
- Eco-smart cities / Sustainable built environments: e.g., multifunctional coatings, up-cycling of industrial or agro-based byproducts, permeable pavements, and nanotechnology for civil infrastructures
- Durable, sustainable, and smart infrastructures: e.g., multiscale engineering and characterization, corrosion protection, preservation/rehabilitation techniques, self-healing concrete, and anti-icing pavements
- Durable & Sustainable Pavements and Bridges
- Concrete Durability
- Corrosion of Metals
- Sustainable Winter Road Operations
- Nanotechnology for Civil Engineers
- Concrete Durability (CE 501)
- Durable & Sustainable Pavements and Bridges (CE 498)
- Shi, X., Fu, L. (2018). Sustainable Winter Road Operations (Eds.). ISBN: 978-1-119-18506-2. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Pacheco-Torgal, F., Melchers, R., Shi, X., De Belie, N., Van Tittelboom, K., Pérez, A.S. (2017). Eco-efficient Repair and Rehabilitation of Concrete Infrastructure (Eds.). Elsevier.
- Xie, N., Dang, Y., Shi, X. New Insights into How MgCl2 Deicer Deteriorates Portland Cement Concrete. Cement and Concrete Research, 2019, 120, 244-255. DOI: 1016/j.cemconres.2019.03.026.
- Xu, G., Du, S., He, J., Shi, X. The Role of Admixed Graphene Oxide in a Cement Hydration System. Carbon, 2019, 148, 141-150. DOI: 1016/j.carbon.2019.03.072.
- Du, S., Ge, Y., Shi, X. A Targeted Approach of Employing Nano-materials in High-Volume Fly Ash Concrete. Cement and Concrete Composites, 2019, 104, DOI: 1016/j.cemconcomp.2019.103390.
- Nazari, M.H., Havens, E.A., Muthumani, A., Shi, X. Effect of Processed Agro-Residues on the Performance of Sodium Chloride Brine Anti-icer. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 2019, 7, 13655-13667. DOI: 1021/acssuschemeng.8b06043.
- Xie, N., Akin, M., Shi, X. Permeable Concrete Pavements: A Review of Environmental Benefits and Durability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2019, 210, 1605-1621. DOI: 1016/j.jclepro.2018.11.134.
- Du, S., Wu, J., Alshareedah, O., Shi, X. Nanotechnology in Cement-based Materials: A Review of Durability, Modeling, and Advanced Characterization. Nanomaterials, 2019, 9(9), 1213. DOI: 3390/nano9091213.
- Zhu, J., Zhang, K., Liu, K., Shi, X. Performance of Hot and Warm Mix Asphalt Mixtures Enhanced by Nano-sized Graphene Oxide. Construction and Building Materials, 2019, 217, 273-282. DOI: 1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.05.054.
- Zhang, Y., Tian, J., Zhong, J., Shi, X. Thin Nacre Biomimetic Coating with Super-Anticorrosion Performance, ACS Nano, 2018, DOI: 1021/acsnano.8b05183.
- Xu, G., Zhong, J., Shi, X. Influence of Graphene Oxide in a Chemically Activated Fly Ash Binder. Fuel, 2018, 226, 644-657. DOI: 1016/j.fuel.2018.04.033.
- Xu, G., Shi, X. Graphene Oxide Modified Pervious Concrete with Fly Ash as the Sole Binder. ACI Materials Journal, 2018, 115(3), 369-379. DOI: 14359/51701126.
- Xie, N., Shi, X., Zhang Y. Impacts of Potassium Acetate and Sodium Chloride Deicers on Concrete. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2017, 29(3), DOI: 1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001754.
- Dang, Y., Shi, X., Xie, N., McVey, E., Kessel, Accelerated Laboratory Test Suggests the Importance of Film Integrity of Sealers for the Protection of Concrete from Deicer Scaling. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2016, 28(9), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943– 5533.0001579.
- Dang, Y., Shi, X., Mery, S., Xie, N., Benson, A., Yang, Z. Influence of Surface Sealers on the Properties of Internally Cured Cement Mortars Containing Saturated Fine Lightweight Aggregate. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2015, 27(12), DOI: 1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001306.
- Wang, X., Chen, J., Kong, Y., Shi, X. Sequestration of Phosphorus from Wastewater by Cement-Based or Alternative Cementitious Materials. Water Research, 2014, 62(1), 88-96. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2014.05.021.
- Shi, X., Veneziano, D., Xie, N., Gong, J. (2013). “Use of chloride-based ice control products for sustainable winter maintenance: A balanced perspective,” Cold Regions Science and Technology, 86, 104-112. DOI: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2012.11.001.
- Liu, Y., Shi, X. (2012). “Stochastic modeling of service life of concrete structures in chloride-laden environments,” ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 24(4), 381-390. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000399.
- Yang, Z., Hollar, J., He, X., Shi, X. (2011). “A self-healing cementitious composite Using oil core/silica gel shell microcapsules,” Cement and Concrete Composites33, 506-512. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2011.01.010.
- Yu, H., Shi, X., Hartt, W. H., Lu, B. (2010). “Laboratory investigation of reinforcement corrosion initiation and chloride threshold concentration for self-compacting concrete,”Cement and Concrete Research, 40(10), 1507-1516. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconres.2010.06.004.
- Shi, X., Fay, L., Peterson, M.M., Yang, Z. (2010). “Freeze-thaw damage and chemical change of a Portland cement concrete In the presence of diluted deicers,” Materials and Structures, 43(7): 933-946. DOI: 10.1617/s11527-009-9557-0.
- Shi, X., Nguyen, T.A., Suo, Z., Liu, Y., Avci, R. (2009). “Effect of nanoparticles on the anticorrosion and mechanical properties of epoxy coating,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 204(3), 237-245. DOI: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2009.06.048.
- Nguyen, T.A., Lu, Y., Yang, X., Shi, X. (2007). “Carbon and steel surfaces modified by Leptothrix discophora SP-6: Characterization and implications,” Environmental Science & Technology, 41(23), 7987-7996. DOI: 10.1021/es071178p.
- Shi, X., Avci, R., Lewandowski, Z. Microbially Deposited Manganese and Iron Oxides on Passive Metals: Their Chemistry and Consequences for Material Performance. Corrosion, 2002, 58(9): 728-738. DOI: 5006/1.3277655.
- Shi, X., Avci, R., Lewandowski, Z. Electrochemistry of Passive Metals Modified by Manganese Oxides Deposited by Leptothrix Discophora: Two-step Model Verified by TOF-SIMS. Corrosion Science, 2002, 44(5): 1027-1045. DOI: 1016/S0010-938X(01)00104-4.