Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty
Dr. Von Walden
- Ph.D.,Geophysics – University of Washington, 1995
- M.S., Geophysics – University of Washington, 1990
- B.S., Physics – Utah State University, 1984
- Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Laboratory for Atmospheric Research, Washington State University, 2013-current
- Professor, Department of Geography, University of Idaho, 2012-2013
- Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Idaho, 2005-2012
- Interim Director for Idaho EPSCoR/IDeA, 2009-2010
- Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, University of Idaho, 2001-2005
- Research Scientist, Space Science and Engineering Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1997-2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Space Science and Engineering Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1996
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington, 1995
- Electro-optical engineer, Quantic Industries, San Carlos, CA, 1984-1987
- Excellence in Research and Creative Activity Award, University of Idaho Office of Research, 2012
- President’s Mid-Career Award, University of Idaho President’s Office, 2012
- Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere
- Infrared Spectroscopy
- Polar Meteorology
- Regional Climate Change
- Remote Sensing
- Radiative Transfer
- Fluid Mechanics
- Bennartz, R., M.D. Shupe, D.D. Turner, V.P. Walden, K. Steffen, *C.J. Cox, M.S. Kulie, N.B. Miller and C. Pettersen, 2013: July 2012 Greenland melt extent enhanced by low-level liquid clouds, Nature, 496, 83-86, doi: 10.1038/nature12002.
- Shupe, M.D., D.D. Turner, V.P. Walden, R. Bennartz, M.P. Cadeddu, B.B. Castellani, *C.J. Cox, D.R. Hudak, M.S. Kulie, N.B. Miller, R.R. Neely III, and W.D. Neff, 2013: High and Dry: New observations of tropospheric and cloud properties above the Greenland Ice Sheet, Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 94, 169-186, doi: 10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00249.1.
- *Cox, C.J., V.P. Walden, and P.M. Rowe, 2012: A comparison of the atmospheric conditions at Eureka, Canada and Barrow, Alaska (2006-2008), J. Geophys. Res., 117, D12204, doi: 10.1029/2011JD017164.
- Walden, V.P., R.L. Tanamachi, P.M. Rowe, H.E. Revercomb, D.C. Tobin, and S.A. Ackerman, 2010: Improvements in the data quality of the Interferometric Monitor of Greenhouse Gases, Appl. Opt., 49, 520-528.
- Walden, V. P., *W. L. Roth, R. S. Stone, and B. Halter, 2006: Radiometric validation of the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder over the Antarctic Plateau, J. Geophys. Res., 111, D09S03, doi:10.1029/2005JD006357.